LEXINGTON, KY — Police said Sunday that no arrests have been made and there were no new updates in the fatal shooting at a Lexington park that left one person dead and four others injured.
The violence unfolded just before 7 p.m. Saturday at Charles Young Park during an East End Day celebration. Authorities said children were among the wounded, and the victim who died has not been publicly identified.
Police say victims included two children and two adults
Lexington Police Chief Lawrence Weathers said the injured included a 4-year-old, a 14-year-old and two adults. He said all four survivors were believed to have nonlife-threatening injuries based on what investigators had been told.
The fifth victim was pronounced dead at a hospital after the shooting. Officials have not released the person’s name, and the case remained without an arrest as of Sunday.
City leaders urge support for victims as investigation continues
Mayor Linda Gorton referred to the person who died as “a young man” in a Sunday morning Facebook post. She said the community was coming together to pray for those wounded and for the victim’s family and friends.
Gorton also said she had been in contact with Weathers, who was committed to solving the case quickly. Police have not said what led to the shooting or identified any suspects.
Lexington police ask witnesses to share information
The Lexington Police Department is asking anyone with information about the shooting to call 859-258-3600. Tips can also be submitted anonymously through Crimestoppers at 859-253-2020 or online at bluegrasscrimestoppers.com.
Investigators have not announced any overnight developments, and the case remains active as police continue to seek leads from the public.
From the Twin Cities to the border and back, Travel Your Way keeps Minnesota informed.
