Casseroles are go-to recipes and this sausage and rice casserole is definitely a favorite. It is loaded with wonderful ingredients that make this dish hearty and full of flavor.
Why This is the Best Sausage Casserole With Rice Recipe
I cannot say it enough, the flavor! You will be surprised by how flavorful this dish is.
It has richness with butter and cheese. Onion and green pepper paired with ground sausage is simply delectable.
Then when you add in rice, it turns the casserole into a full-blown meal all in one dish. What is not to love about that?
It truly is at the top of the list of all sausage and rice recipes!
Sausage Rice Casserole Ingredients
All of the ingredients in this casserole are easily found at your local grocery store. Here’s a handy list of all that’s in the dish:
- Uncooked rice
- Dry onion soup mix
- Green bell pepper
- Canned mushrooms
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Hot sausage
- Ground black pepper
One of the things great about cooking is the opportunity to change up the recipe with add-ins and ingredient substitutions.
- Want something other than rice? Use quinoa or finely diced cauliflower.
- Don’t like mushrooms? Leave them out! Or you can replace them with broccoli or your favorite vegetable.
- Also, if you don’t have a green bell pepper but have another color, that’s okay! It will still work and turn out delicious.
How to Make Sausage and Rice Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook and drain the sausage.
- Place the rice in a 3-quart casserole dish.
- Add soup mix and water.
- Place celery, green pepper, onion, mushrooms, butter, sausage, salt, and pepper over the rice.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
- Return the dish to the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
How to Serve Sausage Rice Casserole
Serve this casserole by itself or with a light salad or soup. You can also serve a small dessert to finish off the meal in a delicious way.
Here are some suggestions:
- Cucumber Onion Salad
- Olive Garden Salad
- Panera Tomato Soup
- Chocolate Butterscotch Haystacks
- Pecan Pie Brownies
How Store Sausage Casserole with Rice
Allow the casserole to cool to room temperature. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How to Freeze Sausage and Rice Casserole
If you want to freeze the whole casserole before baking it, wrap it completely with plastic wrap and again with aluminum foil.
Or if you want to store the leftovers in the freezer, you should portion out the rest of the casserole and place the portions in a freezer-safe container.
Wrap the containers with plastic wrap or put them in freezer-safe plastic bags. Place them in the freezer.
Sausage casserole with rice will last for up to 3 months in the freezer.
How to Reheat Sausage Casserole
The best way to reheat this casserole is by baking it at 350 degrees until it is heated all the way through. The time will depend on portion size, larger portions will take longer to heat.
You can also rewarm leftovers in a skillet over medium heat. Add a little broth if needed.
Microwaving is another option. Microwave it in 30 to 45-second intervals until it is warmed through.
Favorite Casserole Recipes
- Asparagus Casserole
- Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Crab Casserole
- Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole
- Creamed Corn Casserole
- Creamy Tuna Casserole
- Dorito Casserole
- Spaghetti Casserole
- Taco Casserole with Tortillas
Popular Rice Recipes
- Cajun Rice
- Italian Rice Balls
- Stick of Butter Rice
Check out more of my easy casserole recipes and the best comfort food recipes here on CopyKat!
Add to Collection Go to Collections
Sausage and Rice Casserole
- 1 pound ground hot sausage
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 ounces canned mushrooms drained
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cook the sausage in a pan over medium-high heat. Drain.
Place the rice in a 3-quart casserole dish.
Add the soup mix and water. Stir to combine.
Add celery, green pepper, onion, mushrooms, butter, sausage, salt, and pepper.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
Sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
The post Sausage and Rice Casserole appeared first on CopyKat Recipes.